To use LPR, no additional software or hardware is needed. This guide will take you through the requirements and steps to ensure LPR delivers the best results. For a more detailed explanation of how LPR works navigate to this guide.
Note: After enabling LPR mode on a camera and configuring it, it will take up to 5 minutes for results to populate
Installing the LPR camera
Before installing your LPR Camera, there are a few considerations to keep in mind for the best results.
- LPR Cameras Monitor Single Lanes
For this reason, the LPR camera should be positioned to face a single lane of traffic, such as an entrance or drive through.
- License Plates Should Be Within 40 Feet
Verkada’s LPR solution provides the best results when vehicles are no more than 40 feet away from the LPR Camera.
- Proper Positioning Improves Accuracy
LPR Cameras should be positioned no more than 20º horizontally and/or 40º vertically from the location of license plate.
Enabling LPR on a camera
To enable LPR Mode
- Navigate to the designated LPR Camera’s page
- Click the Info button
- Click on Settings
- Click on Device
- Toggle on LPR Mode
Once LPR has been enabled the camera will go through a firmware update which may take five minutes or more to finish.
Configuring the LPR camera
Once the camera has been enabled for LPR mode you then need to configure the area of interest that you want to capture license plates.
- Navigate to the LPR section on Command
- Click on the Cog to configure LPR settings
- Ensure that the camera image is set to the recommended mounting angles then click Next
- Configure the Optical Zoom so that the passing vehicle takes up more than half of the frame. Use the autofocus or manual focus if the image becomes blurry after using the Optical Zoom then click Next
- Click and drag an area of interest over the area that license plates will pass through then click Next. The selected area must be less than half of the entire frame
- Add in additional cameras to capture the scene for the full context of vehicle events then click I'm done
Viewing license plates captured
Once a camera has been enabled for LPR mode a new section of Command will be available to view all captured license plates. This area will show all the captured license plates along with a clip of when the capture happened.
Filtering for specific license plates
Finding a specific license plate is very easy by using the search bar. Entering the license plate will bring up the exact clip of when it was seen. You are also able to filter for a specific camera along with a specific day.