Motion Notifications can be used to alert users when motion or people are detected in the cameras field of view. Alerts can be customized to trigger during specific times of day and on specific days of the week, providing actionable information to administrators without requiring active monitoring. By, only notifying users of relevant and actionable events, Motion Notifications save time and increase the productivity of security and facilities personnel.
This article provides the following information:
- Defines Motion Notification modes
- Motion Notification configuration steps
- Enabling alerts
- A sample configuration
Motion Notification Modes
There are two concepts to understand in regards to Motion Notification; the frame and the region of interest. They are important because of how Motion Notification filters for motion or people.
- The frame is everything in the field of view of the camera. Basically this is what you see when viewing a camera
- The region of interest is a selected zone within the frame that Motion Notification filters for movement
Motion Notification uses the region of interest to filter for motion and the frame to filter for people. Therefore there are two configurable modes:
- Alert on motion: Only alert when there is motion in a selected region of interest
- Alert on motion and people: Only alert when there is motion in a selected region of interest or a if person is detected anywhere in the frame
These two modes give the ability to customize what is considered a relevant event to trigger an alert.
Configure Motion Notifications
The first step in setting up Motion Notifications, is to define what should trigger an alert and when the alert should be sent. The steps to configure Motion Notifications are as follows:
- Click on a camera
- Go to Settings>Additional Settings
- Select 'Motion'
- Toggle Send notifications when motion is detected
- Select the region of interest in the image
- (Optional) Select additional regions of interest by holding down the shift key and selecting additional region
- (Optional) select the 'FILTER BY People' check box if you want to alert on people in the frame
- ((Optional) To receive alerts during a specific time & day window, enable 'Only notify during a specified time window' and configure the window start and end time/day(s) you would like the alerts
- (Optional) To add different time profiles on different days, click the '+ Add Another' option after completing the step above
- Click 'Apply' when done
- Admin permissions are required to configure Motion Notifications on a camera
- There can only be one Motion Notification configuration per camera which applies to all users in the organization
After Motion Notifications are configured, viewers or admins can configure their Notification preferences to receive SMS or email alerts for motion on their individual user account. Once a user receives an alert, they can click through to Command to view a 20-second clip of the motion event. Within Command, users can take snapshots, zoom, or archive the clip within their account. The steps to enable alerts are as follows:
- Go to your account Settings
- Find the Notifications section
- Check the SMS and Email boxes for Camera motion detected
- Once a notification is sent, the system will wait 2 minutes before sending another notification
- Email alerts include a snapshot of the motion so that recipients can easily see a preview of what happened and link to a 20-second clip of the motion event
- SMS provide a link to a 20-second clip of the motion event
In this example, we configure Motion Notifications to send an email and SMS alerts on Saturday & Sunday all day. On Monday - Friday only 9pm - midnight. If motion is detected in a building entrance door or if a person detected.